TOWN OF NORTH HARMONY
TUESDAY, 03/09/2021, 7:00 PM
MEMBERS PRESENT: PAT RICE PHIL STRAND
JIM GOODLING RICHARD JOHNSON
WALTER GEIST JOHN WARNER-VIA FACETIME
Brad Lawson – Zoning CEO
OTHERS PRESENT: Stephanie Gibbs, Dick Sena, Dale Robbins/Kelly Johnson, Helen Emick, Benjamin Gerring, Jeff Hazel, Bryan Stumpf
- PAT RICE OPENED THE MEETING AT 7:00 PM.
- Dick Sena gave Town Report (See minutes from 3/8/2021 board meeting)
- Brad Lawson gave Zoning Report.
- HADLEY BAY HOTEL PROPOSAL
- Gerring said he is proposing to build a hotel specifically at 3328 West lake Rd., but it is facing Hadley bay Rd.
- Gerring said the property is zoned at TC 4 in which does now allow a hotel to be build. Mr. Gerring is asking to rezone that property to a TC 3 to allow him to build with a special use permit.
- Gerring said it would be a 4-story hotel and would like to discuss front yard parking due to the lake being behind the hotel and they are trying to sell the lakeview and the parking lighting would not shine on the below housing.
- Gerring said with the property being zoned as TC 3 the only variance would be the front yard parking.
- Johnson asked what the parking lot would be made of and Mr. Gerring said it would be made from asphalt.
- Johnson asked if their would-be water retention and Mr. Gerring answered yes.
- Geist asked about the impact of the surrounding locals and Mr. Gerring said they have not put it out into the public yet. He said they are just in the planning process.
- Rice asked Mr. Robbins if this kind of rezoning would be considered spot zoning.
- Robbins said we would have to look at a broader area than just that property because spot zoning is frowned upon. Mr. Hazel said it is zoned TC 3 right across the street, and the area that is zoned TC 4 is very small.
- Robbins said he is concerned about the traffic flow and water runoff.
- Goodling said he would like to see them avoid front yard parking. He asked if they were able to use other locations to park? Mr. Gerring said it was a corner lot so it would push parking to the corner which is also not allowed, so it would push the parking to the back, and they were trying to avoid parking in the back because they are selling lake view and they would see cars when they looked out and the lights from parking would shine on the houses below.
- Hazel said they are gearing toward family destination oriented with 3 styles of suites.
- Hazel said they are not including a banquet hall or restaurant.
- Gerring said they are also looking to put an indoor pool in so it can be used all year around.
- Rice said he feels this really fits in with our comprehensive plan and it does not affect the lake at all so he feels the town should really consider it.
- Rice asked about signage.
- Gerring said there would be a sign on the front and potentially a sign facing I-86. He said they are not looking to put up a huge pole sign or a bulletin board.
- Rice said they would have to make a recommendation to the board to change the zoning.
- Lawson said we should discuss this more as a board before we recommend it to the board.
- SOLAR – Buffalo Solar – Bryan Stumpf
- Stumpf said the proposed project focus is on community solar power. Their goal is to power 110-120 households.
- Stumpf said the area they are proposing is zoned residential and is a great location due to the trees providing natural screening.
- Stumpf said they are looking at 7 acres of panels and it would be a 25-year lease from the landowner.
- Rice said he was concerned that it does not meet the vision of the comprehensive plan for that property.
- Sena said he is concerned about how wet the area is on the property they are looking to install the solar panels.
- Emick asked if it would affect the cell and tv service in the area? Mr. Stumpf said he did not believe it would.
- Sena asked if National Grid is excepting of that location and Mr. Stumpf said he has not received any negative feedback from National Grid.
- Rice asked if there was money budgeted for Don Mccord to come in and help the Planning Board review the comprehensive plan.
- Sena said the Planning Board should have enough budgeted.
- GEIST MOTIONED TO RECOMMEND A MORATORIUM TO THE TOWN BOARD TO DEVELOP SOLAR, SECONDED BY MR. JOHNSON. YES (6) NO (0)
Next regular meeting scheduled APRIL 13, 2021 for at 7:00 P.M.
- ON A MOTION MADE BY MR. GEIST, SECONDED BY MR GOODLING AND NONE BEING APPOSED, THE MEETING WAS ADJOURNED AT 8:55 PM
Deputy Town Clerk