TAKE NOTICE THAT The Town of North Harmony will hold a Public Hearing/SEQR on a Proposed Local Law Amending Zoning Code Section 635, Aircraft Landing Strip, on Tuesday 11/12/2019 at 6:30 PM at the Community Building located at 3445 Old Bridge Rd., Stow, NY 14785. A copy of the proposed Local Law can be found on the Town Website at www.townofnorthharmony.com or in the office of the Town Clerk. The regular Town Board meeting will follow immediately. All are welcome to attend.
By Order of the Town Board
Nancy Thomas, Town Clerk
Section 635 – Aircraft Landing Strip
A. Purpose – In order to protect residents from the creation of unsafe conditions or nuisances, the following conditions shall be considered prior to the granting of any permit for an aircraft landing strip.
B. Conditions –
- Location – Potential airstrips, helipads or any piece of land used to land any form of human occupied aircraft shall be located such that they are a minimum of 1000 feet from any human occupied dwelling will be no landing or take off of any human occupied aircraft in the R-1 through R-5 districts and the TC 1 through TC 3 districts with the exclusion of emergency aircraft. All other districts will be by Special Use Permit only.
- Posted signs – Airstrips shall be posted with signs of sufficient quantity to alert any person entering the area that aircraft may be present.
- No dwellings shall be in the immediate clear area of the ends of the airstrip.
- All commercial development proposed to be located on the airstrip property must be allowed in that district.
- Referral to State – Prior to acting on any aircraft landing strip permit request, the Municipal Board shall, by resolution, request the NYSDOT Commissioner to review the proposed airstrip and make a recommendation in accordance with Section 249 of General Business Law.
C. Permit Requirements – All requests for permits shall include a description of the type and quantity of aircraft using the facilities, frequency of flights, a map drawn to scale showing the airstrip and prevailing winds as well as dwellings in the neighborhood and proposed commercial development.
D. Severability – If any section, provision or part of this local law is held to be invalid, in whole or in part, such determination of invalidity shall not affect the validity of any of the remaining sections, provisions or parts of this local law.
E. Repealer – All Local Laws or Ordinances and parts thereof inconsistent with this Local Law are hereby repealed.
F. Effective Date – This local law shall take effect immediately on filing with the Secretary of State of the State of New York.