Property tax relief credit
For each year you are eligible for the property tax relief credit, you will automatically receive a check. To qualify, you must:
- live in a school district that is complying with the New York State property tax cap
- receive either the Basic or Enhanced STAR property tax relief, and
- have an income of $275,000 or less.
- Upstate—each eligible taxpayer will receive $185.
- Downstate—qualifying taxpayers will receive checks for $130.
- The property tax relief credit will be in addition to the existing Property Tax Freeze Program.
Beginning in 2017, the property tax relief credit will be a percentage of a homeowner’s STAR benefit, with lower incomes receiving a higher percentage benefit.
The credit will be fully phased in as of 2019.
For additional information on other Property Tax or STAR related questions go to: https://www.tax.ny.gov/